NHS England have produced guidance for NHS procurement teams on net zero and social value.
As of 1st April, the NHS adopted the Government’s Social Value Model (PPN 06/20) in the award of NHS contracts. All organisations involved in NHS procurement are now required to adopt and apply PPN 06/20 to contribute to the NHS net zero and social value goals.
The guidance outlines approaches to adopt and apply PPN 06/20 to commissioning and purchasing. It covers:
- Selecting social value themes, with ‘Fighting Climate Change’ as a theme in all tenders.
- Determining net zero and social value weighting at or above the 10% minimum
- Adding net zero and social value questions to the tender
- Evaluating tender response and how additional benefit is added to existing supplier activity
- Effective contract management, including examples of contract KPIs.
The guidance can be found here.
Last week, the BSA attended NHS England’s Sustainable Suppliers Forum, where the above policy was discussed as well as the importance of improving supply chain resilience across all procurement spend.
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments on the guidance – email@example.com.