New Prime Minister's Speech and New Ministerial Appointments
Earlier this evening, Liz Truss delivered her first speech to the nation as Prime Minister.
She set out her three early priorities:
- Growing the Economy: Ms Truss said that she will focus on “getting Britain working again” with a “bold plan to grow the economy through tax cuts and reform”. She added that she will “cut taxes to reward hard work and boost business-led growth and investment” as part of her mission to “get the United Kingdom working, building and growing” and that she will “make sure that we are building hospitals, schools, roads and broadband”.
- Tackling the Energy Crisis: Ms Truss pledged to “deal hands on with the energy crisis caused by Putin's war. I will take action this week to deal with energy bills and to secure our future energy supply”.
- Improving Healthcare: Ms Truss said that she will ensure that people can get doctors' appointments and access to the NHS services they need.
Following her speech, the first new ministerial appointments were announced.
Below is the current set of appointments announced so far:
- The Rt Hon Dr Thérèse Coffey MP has been appointed Secretary of State for Health and Social Care. She will also be Deputy Prime Minister.
- The Rt Hon Kwasi Kwarteng MP has been appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer
- The Rt Hon James Cleverly MP has been appointed Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs
- The Rt Hon Suella Braverman QC MP has been appointed Secretary of State for the Home Department
- Wendy Morton MP has been appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (Chief Whip). She will attend Cabinet.
- The Rt Hon Ben Wallace MP has been re-appointed Secretary of State for Defence.
- The Rt Hon Brandon Lewis CBE MP has been appointed Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice.
- The Rt Hon Chris Heaton-Harris MP has been appointed Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.
- The Rt Hon Brandon Lewis CBE MP has been appointed as Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice.
- The Rt Hon Nadhim Zahawi MP has been appointed as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Minister for Intergovernmental Relations and Minister for Equalities.
- The Rt Hon Penny Mordaunt MP has been appointed as Lord President of the Council and Leader of the House of Commons.
- Lord True CBE has been appointed Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Lords.
- The Rt Hon Jake Berry MP has been appointed as a Minister without Portfolio.
- The Rt Hon Alok Sharma MP has been re-appointed as COP26 President.
The BSA are engaging with the new appointees and any further appointments will be included in the Daily Monitoring.